Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Painting Friedrich Wilhelm Heinz

I decided to paint the bust in acrylics. While I have a large selection of Vallejo hobby acrylics, in this case I decided to experiment and use bottled Liquitex artists' acrylics. I did use a few Vallejos mixed with the Liquitex and of course I also used my Citadel inks. While I hated Games Workshop's hobby paints for being over priced and for their propensity to dry up within 2 months of purchase, their inks have an indeterminate shelf life and are awesome for staining, glazing and washing figures. They are a key tool in my face painting technique. However, in true Games Workshop fashion, they discontinued their only good paint product to replace them with what I am told is a vastly inferior line of washes. Apparently artists inks from Winsor Newton and other suppliers fill the void but I won't get the chance to find out until my GW inks finally dry out or get used up.

The following photos show the bust painting in progress.